Sunday, December 21, 2008

More cutbacks all around


Well more cuts were needed at work all around, in order to get the budget closer to Zero for the year. That meant a few more people were laid off at work as well as some programs being slashed as well.

Its a totally different working environment now these days. We lost about 10 people and some have gone to a contract position and working off site. It was also decided that our 2008 profit sharing would not be made, as well as 2009. They've also eliminated our 2009 401k matching benefits and last will be no salary raises for 2009.

Everyone wonders what will be next, will the the health insurance go away? Its a given that changes are coming over the next year, but how many more changes are we looking at ahead now? What will these changes do for everyone in 2009?

When my manager gave me an office memo and said, "Here is your salary reduction notice." I simply smiled and said, "I prefer to look at this paper and think, I still have a job now!" The truth is I can do what I can and handle these decisions for now. I'd rather have my job and these cuts than be laid off.

All of this has caused us to look at ways to slash spending on our home front. We've targeted a few areas and will continue to look at ways to save some money at home. I can feel some what safe at work now, but truth is it doesn't matter how loyal I am to my job, they might not be loyal to me anymore.

I might have to start looking at options for other jobs. I'm going to do what I can to help and make things better at work, but I have to keep in mind my family and future comes first and some changes might not be in line with those needs.

One thing is for sure, I don't see any bailout coming our way. It's up to all of us to bail ourselves out. I'm thankful to have my job and sad for all of those that lost theirs out there. Hopefully they'll bounce back soon and to better things.

No comments: