Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Cutbacks have begun

So it was last Friday that everyone at my place of employments was asked to meet and informed that our times ahead did not look good.

So we headed into the weekend knowing that Cutbacks would be coming and it was even mentioned that some cuts could come before the Executive Committee comes into town to meet.

So yesterday Texas Workforce was asked to come out and speak to us and let us know what services were available if we found our self laid off. That brings us to today and my departments lost one team member.

By the time the day was over 7 people were let go from various departments and a lot of them I thought of as friends. Its been tough wondering what might happen and the fact is more could be coming still. Nobody knows what might happen during or after the EC meets.

It reminds me of an article I read over the weekend about being laid off. See in a lot of cases, its not just a job and we spend a lot of time with our co-workers and become close friends and in someways a family. That's what makes this hard to have to say goodbye to someone.

The fact is business is not as good as it was and change is needed to help the situation. Doesn't make it easier to tell someone your being let go. I can only hope the best for all of them and continue to hope that I will still have a job too.

Its just a bad time of year for something like this to happen. Really sucks to think its happening everywhere too. My mother lost her job a couple months back and I've heard of others loosing their jobs and now its hit close to home it seems.

For now I have to take it one day at a time, I know I have plenty to work on and look forward to working on my projects. I just hope to continue doing so.

No comments: