Saturday, December 15, 2007

The Darkside of MySpace

After less than 24 hours of setting up the MySpace account I got my first message from someone and I asked my wife if Ms. J (as I'll call her) was one of her friends. My wife had sent out a blast to her friends to add me as a friend. She replied NO! and we looked to see what was sent to me. How and where Ms J's friend had found me, I have no clue. The fact remains, this is the type of thing that happens on sites like this. So I post it just as it was written for you to see. The claim is someone is using a friends MySpace account. So here goes the message from Ms J's friend.

Hey do you come here often? I really don't, but couldn't resist checking things out. I'm glad I did. I liked your profile and decided to write you. I'm looking for a nice guy to be friends with at first. Yeah, I want to take it slow. I like being single. I hope you're fine with that. If you want to know more about me, here goes. I'm easy-going, curious and smart. I love reading, watching TV and biking. I'm also darn pretty and love wearing sexy clothes.

I hope you'll want to hook up but if you do, don't reply directly to this message. I'm using my best friend's account, and I don't want her to think you're writing to her. Please use my own e-mail instead: ? at yahoo.

Bye bye and thanks!
Now Ms. J is not suppose to know what is going on. Right! Let's just jump right to it, I really don't know any women that would say, "I'm also darn pretty and love wearing sexy clothes." followed by "I hope you'll want to hook up..." and I'm happy with that and not saying I'm looking for that. I just think its plain sad... I stated I'm married in my profile. I need to go back and add proudly & very happily married, not looking for Hook ups!

Thankfully some of my wife's friends have added me and I'm starting to find a few of my own friends online. It just seems odd that someone would message like that. It's also sad to hear the stories of husbands and wives looking for so called Love here, only to stumble across each others pages. Hello, they wrote a song that applies here, "Looking For Love in all the Wrong Places."

I'd like to think this is the last message I'll get like this, but I'm afraid to say that more & likely this is not the case. My wife and I forming a joint page could be an option to stop this, but I think having our own pages is fine and I like to share stuff like this. Facebook looks better and better every day. I haven't event touched on the real issues I have with MySpace.

Back on topic... Ms. J, I'm sorry your friend is using your account without your knowledge. Now as to the friend, I'm happily married and not looking to hookup, you might think about looking for people that are single. I guess listing I'm married is not enough. Oh and one more thing, the guy Tom that e-mails first at sign up and is added to your friends is real person and the one who built MySpace. Sorry I deleted you at first, I thought you were a bot and didn't want to look like a sap who only has the bot for a friend. No hard feelings I hope.

No comments: