Sunday, November 20, 2005

Paul McCartney 2005 US Tour

Its a saturday night and my cell phone rings... I look at the time and wonder why I'm getting a call from my buddy Bob at 11:00 pm on a saturday night. So he asks what I'm doing the next day and I say, I've got a 6:30 indoor Soccer game, why?

You want to skip it? I say, what for and why? Paul McCartney concert and I've got an extra ticket is the reply. He's tried to get someone to buy it and tried to get someone to just go. No matter what, he's down to the night before and about to be stuck with an extra ticket.

I said I don't know and he tells me that they are leaving about 5:30 to head over to the show. I really don't want him to be stuck with a ticket so to speak and I can't afford it to buy it and he's pretty much ran out of options. I said I would have to think about it some more and get back to him in the morning. I said keep trying to find someone and if you do, I'll be ok not going to the show.

I love playing indoor soccer, but its not everyday that something like this falls in my lap. See I pretty much grew up listening to the Beatles, playing my parents 45's and really liked all the music as a young kid. In some ways they might have been the first band I was ever exposed to so to speak. I was to young to see them in concert and never got the chance to see some of the members after they broke up.

With Lennon and Harrison both dead, my chances of seeing any of the members perform grew smaller and smaller. Now the night before the show a phone call comes in and I'm invited to see one of the original Beatles and the ever popular Sir Paul McCartney perfrom live in a sold out concert. He has a new album out and I know little about it, but his tour has been made up of a lot of old material from the Beatles, Wings and even his band the Quarrymen, before he became one of the Beatles.

As much as I hate to miss a soccer game, I can't see passing this up and look forward to a really great show. I'm sure I'll have other soccer games to play, but I don't think I'll have a chance to see Paul McCartney play live. Its not going to be the Beatles, but from what I've heard its as close as you can get to it.

No comments: