Thursday, April 03, 2008

It's an HD thing

Amazing about sums it all up and interesting at the same time. Sometimes you just have to stare and take it all in and I'm talking the tiny details that come from a really nice HD picture. Only thing is not all shows are broadcasting in HD and that means you see a lot of shows in SD (Standard Definition).

Now if you don't take those shows and try to stretch them out, its not so bad. I do notice things in the area of text from SD broadcasts, they just look bad in that area. Also just because a channel is in HD, doesn't mean that they are broadcasting programs in HD all the time. In fact I've even seen some HD stuff, like the Today Show for example and their cuts to stories appear as SD. In most cases that format switches auto for you and then switches back to HD, but you still notice a difference in the quality of the picture.

HDMI is pretty much the defacto connection and we are talking about 1 cable to rule them all so to speak, sending both HD video and Audio in a single neat cable. Only thing is I'm not setup with HDMI all around, so I'll have the best picture I can to my TV via HDMI and then send my all my audio out to my stereo via digital audio. We are still going to have a great experience all around, just a few more cables.

So when you start looking at upgrades to the world of HD, keep in mind HDMI and how many connections between all your devices. Over time you'll also see more and more Channels switch over from SD to HD content. DirecTV is pretty much leading the market with the number of channels available in HD, but you could still see some stuff in SD.

Gaming in HD or at 1080p is the best and I'm enjoying this a lot on the LCD tv and my Elite Xbox 360 handles it great. Games are pretty much designed for this format and you can't go wrong with this combination. PC connections are also a nice feature in some of these HD TV sets too.

Last is the area of HD DVD or I should say Blu-Ray. I'm in no hurry, I know Blu-Ray has one, but until these drives drop way down in price, the media drops and pretty much we see SD DVD leave the market, which I don't see happening, I'll be fine with normal DVD and in fact a lot of DVD players upscale to 1080i or 1080p and look great.

No comments: