Thursday, October 25, 2007

Only Seven days til NaNoWriMo

I just finished reading Chris Baty's, No Plot? No Problem!: A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days and I did this just in time, as I head into my first NaNoWriMo. Why on earth would someone think about doing such a thing? How about the high numbers of people thinking and wanting to write, only getting side tracked, stuck, and abandoning their child on the doorstep of things left unfinished.

So this exercise in creativity and sticking to a deadline, while writing a novel, is the answer to the problem. This month we will not leave our stories on the doorstep, we will push ourselves to complete the tasks, have fun along the way, and let our characters reveal the world inside and tell their stories.

Write fast and leave your Inner Editor behind, take a chance and let your characters try things and see what happens. In the end, you might be surprised at what you have and after a little break you can turn around and make changes and polish things up. Sounds like a crazy plan, but a plan for success if you ask me. With out the goals and deadlines, to many things will creep up and get in the way. Your imagination will fall into a slumber and the stories will die. Just like eating & drinking, you have to feed your stories on a regular basis and in truth its only a couple hours out of each day.

I had fun during Script Frenzy and reached the 20,000 words goal for a movie. I feel good about this project and I'm ready to take it head on. It's not about quality as much as quantity, but at the same time I think I'm capable of creating something fairly decent and look forward to completion and having something to edit afterwards.

No comments: