Friday, October 05, 2007

2, 4, 6, 8... Who do we appreciate

So today I over heard two moms talking about something and one of them said, "do they even wear skirts any more for cheering?" The mom replied, "no its all Hoochie outfits now!" :o Just like the High School Cheerleader pictured here it's shocking and true it seems. So being the father of a young daughter, I'm happy she's not wanting to be a cheerleader... at least so far she hasn't mentioned it at this young age. I also have a younger daughter following her older sisters footsteps, talk about double trouble. The High School Cheerleaders didn't look like that when I was going to school.

This crazy sport that starts out with very young girls and costs tons of money for these Lil darlings to cheer for a small peewee football team, where they more and likely don't even know someone on the football team. When I was growing up, I didn't even see a cheer leader until Junior High School. Cheering back then was the basic chants and claps of Fire Up! Now days its more about music and dance, all spurred on by the whole Bring It On movies.

Its funny how times have changed and how the normal Barbie dolls for girls are not enough. Now you have the Bratz and Flavas giving Barbie a run for the money and forcing her to lower her standards and sexy up her image. Not to mention the shows and music videos as well, its getting harder and harder to watch or listen to anything these days.

Don't get me wrong I'll be the first to say at a professional game, the girls on the sidelines are attractive to look at and fun to watch, but I'm not sure how much they really help my team win the game. OK, they keep the crowd fired up during breaks and time outs and perhaps that helps. But do we have to start our young ladies down this road?

No comments: