Friday, October 12, 2007

Everything has its place

It's a good way to look at things and will hopefully help things feel right and make sense as I write my Novel next month. Were talking about the back story here. What? That's right just like it helps to have a feel of the world around us, its no different in writing a story to have an idea of the world and the characters the story will take place in.

So I came across a site with exercises to help with the creation of a fantasy world. It's a collection of 30 days and an exercise for each day. Upon completion, you should have a really firm grasp of what makes things tick in the land of your characters.

Here's my problem, I don't have 30 days here to do this. Sure, people will say our World was created in 7 days (actually 6 with a day of rest) or it was just a big bang. The exercises actually let me rest on day 30, but I still need to cram 29 exercises into 20 days or less. The world I make needs to be ready by the first of next month, I can't have it stewing and cooling off, I need to hit the ground running at the start and write. Otherwise my novel could just be a Big Bang.

If I really wanted to be impressive, I could spend a solid 7 hours and 15 minutes and have my world created all in one day. I think I'll try and shoot for 6 days and spend about an hour and 15 minutes and work on at least 5 exercises a day. Yes, this is all for fun too.

No comments: