Thursday, May 31, 2007

Sheding light on Shadowrun

I've always heard, "Don't Judge a Book by it's Cover"... That being said, I'm guilty of just that it appears. I heard just little about the new title from Microsoft and how this would be the first game that they would release to play on Xbox 360, Games for Windows, play on Xbox Live and against or with each other. Interesting so far and I look at the artwork and think its some kind of Pitfall game on steroids perhaps. So I move on and look at something else.

Luckily I had a first hand chance to actually see & play this game at the GSB Road Tour in Dallas and I have to report that I now stand corrected. This game is awesome from the visuals to game play and all points in between. Not only does it blend the worlds of Fantasy & Sci-fi together in its usage of both Magic & High Tech weapons, this first person shooter bridges the gap between Console and PC gaming once and for all.

I really like the round based, reward style of play the game has to offer and how you can purchase certain types of Magic and Weapons in between gaming rounds. This feature reminds me a lot of Diablo II and upgrading your armor, weapons, or purchasing magic items before heading back out to battle. The various classes of characters you can plan and how they have certain advantages is a huge plus and encourages more team play than the solo run & gun style.

If I hadn't seen this game first hand, I more and likely would have just passed it up all together. I'll have to do a better job and look harder at games from now on or I'll find myself missing out. This title has clearly moved way up on the chart at a very close 2nd, behind Halo 3 and could slide into first perhaps. I had a small list of 5 titles in my head of must buy games for starters and I'm afraid that Lost Planet has now fallen out of my top 5 list.

Top Five Must Buy for Xbox 360
  1. Halo 3
  2. Shadow Run
  3. Assassins Creed
  4. Moto GP 07
  5. Viva Pinata (So my girls can play)

No comments: