Sunday, May 27, 2007

Halo - Combat Evolved

The flag ship game from Microsoft's corner at their launch of the original Xbox was none other than Halo. The sci-fi shooter that takes place on a mysterious ring world sounded cool and very different for its time. So not only was Microsoft launching into the console ring, they were bringing a lot of new games to the table as well.

I honestly stuck to my PC guns and felt that was where I wanted to game and enjoyed the online options at the time. I didn't do my research into what was planned for the Xbox and as cool as it sounded, I would just have to skip out on playing Halo.

I'm playing catch up now and really enjoy the game play and learning more about the Halo series. I still have a ways to go in completing the first Halo campaign and pretty much know the story, having read Halo - The Flood by William C Dietz.

William's book does a really great job in following the story line of the first game and also telling the story from the Covenant's point of view. I guess you can say that some of the magic is gone, having read The Flood and now working my way through the game, but I have to say that the first time I landed on the ring world called Halo was an awesome feeling and its been an incredible ride to say the least. No matter what I know is about to happen, I mean I'm still the one playing the game, I just have a slight advantage is all.

My goal for now is to try and finish both campaigns and all of the books before I start playing Halo 3 in September. It also means getting the much awaited Xbox 360 Elite. I love the game play in Halo 2 and the little bit that I've seen online of the beta for Halo 3 is going to make this a must for all Halo fans and a huge score for both Microsoft & Bungie.

No comments: