Sunday, January 22, 2006

Championship game draws near

Less than 8 hours till the Championship match up for my indoor soccer team. The Rookies are a co-ed team playing in one of the bottom divisions at Apex Indoor Sports Center. I've played for them less than a year now; my 2nd time to comeback and play the game of soccer after many years of not playing at all.

We've done fairly well and won more games than we have lost for the past few seasons that I've played. Pretty much sticking in the middle of the 8 team league each season.

It has been a blast for the most part and I've enjoyed helping setup goals, stop some people from scoring and even knocking a few in for the team. Last weeks game was a really good game for us with my co-worker, friend and team mate playing in goal (Something he normally does not do) and helping us get another win for the season. Tracy guided us every step of the way from his goal and as a team we shut out our opponent for a win. I even managed to knock a few shots in for our team.

Then it became a waiting game with a record of 6-1 and the first place team sitting at 6-0 and facing us next Sunday. On Thursday afternoon I had to call and see how they did and to my surprise they lost last week. No longer would it be us trying to beat them and give them a loss and winning the season by beating them and a tying record. No this weeks match comes down to us facing a tied 6-1 team now and the winner becoming this seasons champion.

I'm trying to think back if I've ever come down to a game like this before. I think the closest I've come was a 2nd place team. It's always about having fun and will always be that for me. Tonight is where the fun continues as we face the Revolution to see who can score the most and keep the other from scoring. We've had a really great season and win or loose it has been so much fun. I just hope tonight can end with a victory for us.

1 comment:

EL COCONUT said...

Robowerks is being too modest. He had 2 great goals and I believe he had an assist. It was a great game to have leading up to tonight's championship spotlight game. We have truly grown; learned and worked hard during the previous seasons to come together as a nice solid team, a championship contender at that.

Note: This e-mail is after the championship match up between the Revolution and the Rookies, but I won't spoil Robowerks next blog ;-)

I'm so glad that you will be back next season, so glad.