Monday, October 24, 2005

Skypecasting on a Monday night

So I'm sitting at home on a Monday night watching the football game on the internet via ESPN Gamecast. I've got Skype up and an talking to a buddy as he does a live Podcast show for the night. Meanwhile a co-worker has started to text chat with me via Skype too. Can I do more things at the same time I wonder? Oh, that's right I've started this Blog for the night too.

I have to say the little test for Skypecasting was interesting to say the least on my buddies show. Keep in mind what we are talking about is a DIY internet radio show. Now most people that put on these shows will set a lineup of songs or topics for their show. They get all the tracks set and then they come in an record the audio talk over breaks and last they mix it all together as a Podcast.

Then you have those that set the song line ups and plan what they want to say and do a live recording from start to finish. They do the DJ talk over, as the song begins and just work through the show notes and the end of the show, all live so to speak.

Now you throw in a live Skype call as your recording and you have Skypecasting. The only problem is you can't control what other people say and if you don't watch it, the show can get away from you. Its like a talk radio show and people are doing this on all kinds of topics. Most people do this for fun, they don't plan on large audiences to tune in. Others put together some really great shows and they sound like a real radio show.

The cool part is the freedom to say what you want pretty much. I mean your not really censored in your subject matter or language on shows like this. I mean some stuff is really not for the public airwaves and people have a right to select what they want to listen too or just not listen. Its an audio blog of sorts and that's what people like about it and the fact you can download and listen to these when and where you want.

Well its getting late and the Podcast is now done (Enter this in your Podcast software http://www.bobnewhouse.com/pods and look for show #12). The Falcons are about to beat the Jets now. The co-worker has called it a night and headed to bed. I'm also ready to wrap this blog up and look towards some sleep as well. If you haven't checked out Podcasts, get iTunes and see what's out there or if you want to do your own show, you can do that and drop me a note on where to listen. I'll at least give you a show or two as a trial basis.

No comments: