Thursday, October 27, 2005

Raptor wrap up

Well we've just returned from the end of the season team party. Just to update a bit here, this was the first year for eight, four year old girls to come together and play soccer as a team. This was in the YMCA Mighty Tots league and the goal is for them to learn a bit about the game and have fun most of all.

We don't really keep track of the score of the games and they only play 6 games at this age. I thought it was going to be a real challenge and wondered how on Earth I would learn something about each of the players on my daughters team and would they learn from me and have fun. It was a real joy to show them a little bit of the game and make it fun for each of them.

The last game of the season I would say was the best and I feel like the team has only really started. I think most of the girls will come back for next season and I plan on offering my coaching skills again. Tonight was a lot of fun to see the girls one last time before the winter break. The parents all pitched in to get trophies to mark the occasion and I think we picked out a really nice trophy for the girls and hopefully something for them to look back upon.

I don't think I would change anything at all, but if I had a way to be in two places at the same time. I would love to be a parent and just watch them play for a bit. Its a real joy to be on the field and teaching them the game, but I some what feel disconnected at times when I'm in the role of Coach and then Dad after the game is over. For now, I can leave the Coaches hat aside until the next season starts.

No comments: