Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Spiderwick Chronicles trailer review

I guess it was this past Summer when I first saw the movie posters for the Spiderwick Chronicles and decided I wanted to read Holly Black and Tony Diterlizzi's bestselling children's book series first. In fact I had seen the titles in my Library for some time and this gave me the nudge to pick up the five books. After finishing the first book I was hooked and had to continue reading them and it’s the complete set that tells the whole story, so I absorbed them with ease and really enjoyed the story.

The Spiderwick Chronicles is now slated for a February 14th, 2008 Theatrical release and stars Freddie Highmore as twins Jared & Simon Grace. The last thing I saw Freddie in was the 2005 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and I loved his performance of Charlie, even though I'm a bigger fan of the original movie. I missed out on seeing the Golden Compass where he does voice work for the Character Pantalaimon, but I still have that book to read and will more and likely pick up the movie on DVD when it comes out. So I'm looking forward to seeing how well he pulls off the lead role of Jared and then performs double duty as his twin brother Simon.

So last night a Preview screening was held in Dallas and I had passes to attend the event. As much as I would love to tell you what I thought of the movie at this time, I can't. Due to some crazy internet promotions, people were allowed to print out their own passes and gained access well before those of us with Official Preview Passes. So after a 45 minute drive to the northern parts of Dallas, we were left out in the lobby with our Jaws opened in shock. Out of all the free screenings I've been invited too, I had never been denied access.

So the only review I can give you at this time is from two trailers and a movie clip showing Thimbletack the house brownie, who when angered becomes a boggart and very mischievous. The longer trailer with voice over is my favorite and revealed a lot more of the movie and story. The shorter trailer is the one you see more of in promotions and gives you a general feel of the movie and story. I really loved the clip with Thimbletack and feel they did a great job in bringing the character to life for the screen. So as much as the internet defeated me in seeing the preview last night, it at least showed me a little more of the movie today.

Well, that's all I can tell you about the movie and story and it looks like I'm waiting with the rest of the fans now. Give the books a read and then go out and see the movie. Trust me, You have plenty of time to absorb these books and then take a journey into the fantasy world of the Spiderwick Chronicles.

No comments: