Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Online PC Games Rock!

So about the Spring of 1995, I was lucky enough to build my first PC and thanks to a friend, began beta testing Windows 95. It was at this time that I got my very first PC game and being the huge Star Wars fan that I am, I quickly picked up a copy of Dark Forces. Doom was the popular game of choice at the time, but this was clearly the Star Wars fans answer to a first person shooter game.

A few years later, another very popular game called Quake II was launched and a number of my friends had started playing this game. It was really cool to login from home and play online against your buddies or even meet new gamers. And with the start of high speed connections, it would only improve online game play. We also would lug our huge PCs & Monitors over to each others houses from time to time for a LAN Party and night of gaming.

I soon got into an RPG called Diablo II and played this for the longest. This 3rd person game reminded me of a cross between Dungeons & Dragons and Gauntlet. The game is clearly more violent than the very tame game of Gauntlet and I enjoyed playing this online. Most of my friends only played the 1st person shooters though, so Diablo was only a change of pace from the shooter games.
We soon moved on from Quake II to the newer games like SiN, Quake III, and even Half-Life as far as the 1st person shooter games go. The LAN parties drifted away over time and I don't see much of those friends. Many years later, I was lucky to meet someone through my wife and was invited to try out a new game called Call of Duty. Meeting him at his place of work and using their Networked machines was really cool. The first person shooter was set in WWII and a lot of fun, clearly these games have evolved over the past years.

My PC is a lot older now and I'm not able to play the cooler games like Call Of Duty. I'm pretty much in need of a new computer at this stage, but I'm also having to rethink this whole online gaming option and if a PC is really the way to go. I remember when Xbox first came out and said to myself, "This will never fly... a new console with only 1 cool game and a handful of others... what are they thinking?" If I only knew what I know now today. The sleeping gamer will awaken.

No comments: