Friday, January 12, 2007

Back to the present

I'm reminded of the scene in Back to the Future (1985), with Marty McFly sitting around his Mom-to-Be's dinner table and seeing his Grandfather roll over the families first TV set. Having grown up with TVs... seeing the game system PONG for the first time was along the same feeling most of the characters in that scene experienced.

I have a few instances of first time experiences like my Parents taking us to see Star Wars (1977) in the theaters for example. I had never seen anything like this and had no clue about a Princess flying in space, but for me, it was a free movie and we decided to give it a whirl. I was blown away and that has become my favorite movie of all times.


The white blip, flicks back across the screen, sent back from the paddle along the TV edge... Back to my story and the birth of a gamer (me). Such a simple game unit & form of entertainment, capturing the eyeballs of thousands of people. If they only knew where this was going to lead them. Who would have guessed that this simple Black screen, with a white bouncing box and two longer paddles, moving up and down the sides of the screen, would be the start of something huge.

I've marked the past and where it began around 1975 and I'll set my course for the present and perhaps even the future, as I relive some of those cool games and systems from the past.

No comments: