Monday, March 23, 2009

The end of one's Journey

A different path has now been set before me and I will see you all again very soon, when our paths meet up again, my friends. It was Thursday evening, June 19th that I visited my father for one last time, only I didn't know it would be the last time. His journey has now come to an end, being so very tired... yet at last with peace and a little more clearer I think now.

He still had his wit, joking and smiling as he liked to normally do, but I feel he knew all to well that he wasn't feeling very well. He asked about everyone and always seemed to know what was going on in our lives. We talked for a while and I asked him to try and get better and to let me know if he would like me to visit again soon. He simply smiled an said, "Very much so... I always want to see my boys."

I didn't say goodbye when I left him, only I'll see you later Dad and I was happy with our visit. I had no clue that the path had changed before me and I myself was on a different journey now. The journey is in no way mine alone and in fact my whole family is taking the same journey, only slightly different paths for each of us, but with the same destination ahead.

My Dad didn't take the easy routes in his life, but he would still remind all of us which routes would be better to take. I don't have to worry about any of the troubles he had along his journey anymore, he's gone on to a better place, has no more pain, and he can finally rest in peace now.

This journey was not one I was prepared for really, but I knew it was one I would have to take someday soon. I just never expected it to be so very soon. Just like that visit last night, I'm not looking at this as a goodbye now, rather I'll see you later and its time for him to rest until then. I'll miss seeing you Dad and I'll focus on our fond memories and the times we had together until then.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding; think about Him in all your ways, and He will guide you on the right paths. - Proverbs 3: 5-6

No comments: