Sunday, October 19, 2008

Young writers

Well tonight I helped my daughter with her first creative writing assignment. Granted she is 7 and in 2nd grade here, but still was an assignment for her to use her mind and create a character and setting for that character.

It was fun to try and explain to her what is was to write something and work on a project like this. Even though it was very short an simple and perhaps will not have a sequel, it was fun and I can only hope she will continue to enjoy reading and perhaps find that writing is a lot of fun too.

I'm looking ahead at the 2008 NaNoWriMo now and looking forward to writing again myself. It's a lot to try and create a story and characters, but for me its rewarding as well and fun to see something, even in need of rewrites and more polish to it and to know I created that world and story, filled with the lives of characters and let actions take hold and bring them to some final ending or at least for this particular story.

A lot has happened to me in the time that has past since last years NaNoWriMo. Things never get easier and I'll always have something to do, the point is to make time and write daily and let the story come out. Its what I did last time and what I'll attempt to do again. The clock is ticking and my next book is calling me... November 1st will be here before I know it now.

No comments: