Thursday, September 22, 2005

Storms coming...

It's interesting to think about how weather was looked at in the early days, compared to instant access today. It made me look around a bit to see how some of the technology was used and came about. I'm amazed that it was not till around May 1957 that Radars were starting to be used to detect weather.

I remember the old days and watching TV news reports for weather. I remember these old black and white images, flashed on the screen to show storms approaching. I never thought at the time how new this technology was. I'm guessing around the time I started looking at this, it had only been around for about 20 years perhaps.

To think they used this same old stuff up to the early 90's, sure it improved a bit over time, but for the most part the same old detectors were still in use till around the early 90's. It was not till about that time that the switch to the Doppler method started growing. And to think, before that time, say around 1956, they must have just looked out side and saw storm clouds. They must have relied on people in surrounding areas to call or something and say, Storms coming your way, better take cover.

So to think that its only been for the past 11 years from the time I was born, that they've been able to see something on a Radar and it was close at hand and at about 12 years after the first usage of the WRS-57, that we also landed on, walked on, and returned from the Moon? Then again, some us don't believe that ever happened.

No comments: