Friday, March 07, 2008

A Night at the Caucus

Well the title says it all... yes I voted as a Democrat in the 2008 Democratic Primary on March 4th in Texas. I became an Obamacan for the night & the time being and hung out with Texas Democrats. The truth be known and for the past few elections, I've pretty much voted as an Independent in a lot of the races in Texas and that doesn’t do much really around here.

Texas for the longest time has been nothing more than a Republican state, until now or at least on appearances after this Primary. Here's the situation for the Republican party and based in Texas. John McCain has wrapped up the GOP and is the guy. That being said, Republicans stayed home and didn't vote as a majority. You not going to see them come out until the actual election in Texas. So they have an attitude of its time to sit and wait.

On the other hand, the Democratic Party had huge turnouts and unlike anything in previous years. We are talking a flood of voters like you would not believe and if this was the actual election, then Texas falls to the Democrats and becomes a real shocker around these parts.

Truth be known I've been following results for sometime and listening to what is being said and watching how the candidates respond and go about campaigning. I pretty much like what I've seen in Obama and don't with Hillary, so if I can at least have a say in that and exercise my right to vote between those two, why not take that shot?

This is where its crazy, you go and actually vote and make your choice. Then you go and caucus and pretty much vote again. Yes you get to vote twice, crazy if you ask me, but you get to vote twice. After all of that is said an done, they total up votes and then decide on who get how many delegates from your precinct.

Now I'm not sure if the overwhelming turnout was solid Democrats for once and how many other Republicans came out and tried to have a say and who would go up against McCain, but it was interesting to see the whole process and be apart, as crazy as it seems. The funniest thing I heard that night was an official yelling out to everyone, "If you’re a Republican, your not suppose to be in here and need to leave!" I did see at least one person leave at that time.

The Democrats are fighting tooth and nail and will continue that. The Republicans are sitting back and waiting to see what happens. Hillary won Texas in the end, but at least I helped Obama get some Delegate votes and keep his lead in that area. I've got a lot of time between now and the actual election and it should be entertaining and educational as well.

No comments: